25 March, 2017

Should Moonlighting be encouraged?

I have not updated my blog for a month as there were not much changes in the market (it is still priced at high levels) and also that I was too busy focusing on my work even on weekends. That is what you get working for big companies and when given a laptop to work with. 

Never had I heard of anyone saying his or her salary is enough. It is likely most people who want more income outside their monthly pay check will think of "Moonlighting". Policies for permanent jobs mostly restricted employees to work for a second job. It is likely they are afraid of the employees getting overworked and losing focus on their main job. The extra job will also tire him out, which is not a healthy choice. However, it is very obvious many Uber and Grab drivers are earning extra cash apart from their main jobs. 

I have a friend who has approached me to be his relief driver while he has just joined. The money and incentives from Uber is not bad but is working 7 days a week a smart choice? I quite disagree it is despite the temptation of extra income. Adding on, it is dangerous to drive when one is tired. It is not just about earning extra, being more tired and having almost no personal time. Your health gets jeopardized while you have to endure some nasty face to face complaints from customers (especially if you rely entirely on GPS, you are bound to get lost at small roads. That is what I heard from some drivers) I personally will give it a pass for now. 

Back to passive income and investing, I have cashed out on City Dev and DBS recently as I feel it is a premium to sell. At the same time, I bought some REITS recently as I feel they are up for a rebound and have significant upside to come. Capitaland Retail China Trust (CRCT) and Frasers Commercial Trust (FCT) were added and so majority of my portfolio is now from REITS. ($1.415 and $1.26)

I understand that rising interest rates are not good for properties but if you read into it, these two REITS are quite prepared for the hike. Adding on, their high dividends can deter some downside risk along with the safety margin made by my low price entry.

As for the blue chips, it is a “wait and see” moment.

1 comment: